I love not following recipes, don’t you? This is just a crazy good experiment of mine inspired by Healthy is a Verb and Ambitious Kitchen. Came out pretty bomb. I have no idea what the exact measurements are, I was just throwing stuff together. Feel it out, and make it with whatever veggies you like. With V day coming up, this is the perfect one to share with your hubby. Or, save the rest for later gator! Have fun!
The Stir Fry
- 1/3 cup water, (keep a glass of water close by, this is used to prevent sticking to pan without added oil)
- 1/3 small onion, thinly sliced
- 1 garlic clove, grated finely using cheese grater or minced
- 1 small chunk of fresh ginger, also grated finely
- 1/3 head of broccoli with stem, chopped
- 2-3 red cabbage leaves, chiffonade
- 1/3 red bell pepper, thinly sliced
- 1/3 cup of mushrooms, rough chop
- 2 leaves bok choy, thinly sliced, stem and all!
- 1/2 roasted spaghetti squash, scraped
- 1/2 orange
- 1/2 lime
- 1/4 cup almonds, chopped (I totally forgot about these until after I took pic and ate some of it, makes a great crunch!)
- If you haven’t roasted your squash yet, prehead oven to 400*F. Cut it in half the long way and place it open side down on a parchment lined baking sheet and bake for ~45 minutes or until soft
- In a large frying pan over medium to high heat, heat the water, onion, garlic, and ginger, about 3-5 minutes, mixing often
- Throw in the broccoli, cabbage, bell pepper, and mushrooms, let it get happy for another 2 minutes
- Next comes the bok choy and mix another minute, feel free to add water if needed
- Scrape out half of the spaghetti squash (keeping seeds- yum love squash seeds!) and mix that in
- Mix in ~1/2 cup of peanut pinto sauce and mix until well combined
- Peel orange and cut it into slices perpendicular to the way the sections go to make nice little orange pieces like in the picture. Makes for a delish orange, peanut, gingery kind of asian vibe
- Mix in orange chunks, and top with lime to squeeze and crushed / chopped nuts. YUM!
Peanut Pinto Sauce
- ~1/2 cup dry pinto beans, soaked for 6 hours and boiled for ~30 minutes, [or feel free to use canned no salt added pinto beans, drained and rinsed (I like Eden’s brand the best, if using Eden’s, drain, but no need to rinse)]
- ~1/4 cup of peanut butter (the kind with one ingredient only: Peanuts. if there are “hydrogenated oils” on the ingredients label, toss it)
- ~2 Tbsp maple syrup
- ~1 cup boiling water (from cooking beans)
- juice of ~1/2 lime*
Blend all ingredients in a high speed blender until smooth. Not sure about the measurements but I think it would be hard to make this combo taste bad. Hope you’re hungry!
*I put lime or lemon juice on everything, for flavor, for peak iron absorption, and it makes me feel amazing!
2 thoughts on “Spaghetti Squash Stir Fry with Creamy Peanut Sauce | Oil Free, Gluten Free, Vegan”
I’ve made Italian dishes with spaghetti squash before, but not Asian ones- this looks delicious!
Cool! I love experimenting with spaghetti squash, can’t wait to try with an Italian sauce, maybe cashew alfredo and asparagus? Mmm